Friday, July 25, 2008

birds on a line







A series exploring new techniques merged with past fascinations. Reverse painting on fused recycled glass scraps become relief habitats to a community of birds.

I would watch, draw and paint the black starlings outside my studio window when I was in art school (15 years ago; sigh). Like a daily soap opera I would tune in to the story outside my window. One bird, two bird, three bird, ten...... Depending on the number of birds or the distance between them a story emerged in their tensions. 'Does this bird not like that bird?' 'Maybe these two are a couple.' 'Why is that one always alone and separate from the rest?' You get the idea; It can go on and on. It did. So these birds way back then started me off asking questions that worked their way into my artistic pursuits. Their return has me keenly aware of a cycle of completion and a new beginning. Here is the first of many I wish to share.

9 1/2 birds on a wire
15" x 10"
2008
SOLD

No comments: